Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Six Super Sexy Valentine's Day Menu Ideas

These recipes have been chosen for a few very good reasons; they are all easy to make, not too expensive (well, except for the first one), and are guaranteed to drive your dinner guest wild with desire. That's right, guaranteed!

Cioppino

If you feel like splurging a little, San Francisco's famous Cioppino is a great choice. This spicy fish and shellfish stew is a big passionate bowl of yummy, and when paired with a loaf of crusty sourdough bread, it's downright otherworldly.





Black Pepper Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Black Cherry Reduction

This succulent dish has all the things I love in a recipe; an easy piece of meat to work with, a super simple sauce that tastes like something that took hours, and the classic flavor combination of hot/tangy with sweet/fruity.






Chicken Marsala a la Ryan’s Cafe


[chicmar250.jpg]Certain dishes have a special place in my heart, and this is one of them. The first real restaurant job I had in San Francisco was at a small place called Ryan’s CafĂ©. This was one of the first recipes that showed me what wonderful magic could be created cooking with wine. A great romantic chicken dish.





Roast Lemon and Herb Chicken

[chick2-1.jpg]This classic recipe for roasted chicken is inspired by the late, great Julia Child. What better choice for a romatic winter dinner than this beautiful bird? You and yours will love the way this roasting chicken scents the whole house with its amazing aroma.



New York Strip Steak with Warm Caramelized Mushroom Salad

If your date is a red meat eater, this very sexy strip steak topped with warm, caramelized mushroom salad is sure to get rave reviews. The earthy mushrooms really amplify the beefy flavor of the steak – and the sherry vinaigrette and fresh tarragon are perfect accents. This was done to feature grass-fed beef, but will work with standard beef as well.


Spaghetti with Red Clam Sauce

[redclam.jpg]A table sporting this simple-to-make pasta, some crusty bread, and a bottle of nice wine would be a great setting for any dinner, but when you add the whole Valentine's Day theme, it's about as romantic as it gets. This is also a very afforable meal, so you'll have a little left for chocolates. Don't forget the chocolates.

8 comments:

Charlemange said...

I made your Chicken Marsala recipe last night. Best tasting Chicken Marsala ever.

wine information said...

The lemon and herb chicken looks the best to me! I love steak too but my wallet doesn't....ha!

Anonymous said...

You know at 4:15 for the Tenderloin Cherry video, It could also be one me. :P I could eat it like that. Just stick it in my mouth. Looks goood!

Norellys said...

Thank you very much,Chef John.
Your recipes are great.
Norellys
From Venezuela

http://lasrecetasdenorellys.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the suggestions but I'm having problems with numbers. I only counted five recipes.

1. Black Pepper Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Black Cherry Reduction
2. Chicken Marsala a la Ryan’s Cafe
3. Roast Lemon and Herb Chicken
4. New York Strip Steak with Warm Caramelized Mushroom Salad
5. Spaghetti with Red Clam Sauce

Is the 6th recipe a secret?

Chef John said...

i don't know what you are talking. I see 6!

Sean said...

Wow, that tenderloin looks really good. I hope wherever we go for Valentine's Day, I can get something that good.

Ed the house chef said...

Chef,

I always take a gamble when I make something that my wife grew up on. Thanks to you it was a hit, the Chicken Marsala was as good as could be expected and I earned the coveted "this is a definite make again" comments :) Thanks.