Sunday, November 9, 2014

Pumpkin Time

Yes, it's that time of year already. Time to unpack the sweaters, buy scented candles, and of course, figure out some new and exciting ways to cook with pumpkin. Here’s a collection of some of my favorite seasonal recipes. To read the original post, and get the ingredient amounts, just click on the recipe title, and away you go, Enjoy! 

Best Pumpkin Pie Ever


The name says it all. And, you know you can't just make a claim like that on the Internet, unless it's true. 

Holiday Pumpkin Bread


It's like banana bread, only with pumpkin. By the way, and you didn't hear this from me, but this is great served warm with a scoop of ice cream.

Pumpkin Scones


If you think scones are dry, crumbly, and boring, then you've never made these.

Pumpkin Cheesecake


I used to think that there was no way to improve on the classic New York style cheesecake, but this has me reconsidering that notion.

Pumpkin Pancakes


10 years from now, your family will still be talking about the time you made pumpkin pancakes for breakfast.

3 comments:

Chris K. said...

Whuzzup CJ?

Have you ever cooked pumpkin soup in a pumpkin before? I've done it a few times. The presentation can be dramatic and cool, in a Martha Stewart kind of way. Which I guess isn't really that cool anymore.

Unless you carve the pumpkin too thinly and it collapses in the oven, leaking soup all over the place. Exciting!

But can we agree that pumpkin is just a very bland-tasting winter squash that doesn't actually taste like anything? It's really all about the spice.

Yep. The spice! If I was a Spice Girl, I would be Pumpkin Spice.

Also: I need serious help because I just identified myself as a Strawberry Shortcake character.

WolfyDaddy said...

Chef John, speaking about pumpkins, are you familiar with pumpkin seed oil? It is a speciality of the province of Styria in south-eastern Austria, and adjacent regions in Slovenia and Hungary.

Pumpkin seed oil is dark with a rich flavor, and great for accenting salads and hearty soups. It also has numerous health benefits. I grew up with it, and I love it!

SS said...

Question Chef: Apologies if this has been answered.

When you say 1 cup of flour, approximately how many ounces would that be? I screw up recipes every time I try to measure flour without weight.

Thank you!!