Friday, July 21, 2017

Homemade Phyllo aka Filo Dough – One Step Away from Baklava

At long last, we’re finally going to post a baklava video, which I decided to make a lot harder, by making the filo dough from scratch. 

While not using the incredibly convenient, and significantly faster frozen filo dough does make this a lengthier project, it also makes it much more interesting, and way more fun.

Fair warning, I’ve only done filo a handful of times, so I’m no expert at making this, or baklava, for that matter; but the good news is, despite that, I still managed to achieve some fairly excellent results, and suspect you will as well. I’m sure with a little practice I could probably do more than five at a time, but once you get rolling, the batches go pretty quick, and each one seems to get a little better than the last.

I'll post the baklava video next week, but if you want to practice, you could make a batch, and then do search on Allrecipes for recipes that use filo. There's no shortage of amazingly delicious things to do with this paper thin dough. Stay tuned for baklava, but in the meantime, I hope you give this a try soon. Enjoy!


Makes enough for about twenty (10 to 12 inch round) sheets of filo:
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
5 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
3/4 cups warm water (about 110 F.)
For the starch mixture:
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

23 comments:

WashingtonWoman said...

This looks fun and challenging. Just curious, what is the brand of kitchen scale do you use?
Thanks
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mike said...

Hey, Chef John! I know you already have plans for next week's video, btu I feel inspired to ask, can you make a video on baklava? That's my new food wish. Thanks!

Mulligan said...

Yaaaaaassssssss!!!!!!

Unknown said...

fantastic

readingsgood said...

Hi Chef John. I love your recipes and the other day I was making baklava and wondering if and when you'd ever make baklava! Can't wait to see the next video.

Sebastian said...

Thank you so much for putting up with me. Xoxo

RobH said...

U have to make your own sans machine.

Mulligan said...

Ok.... dough is made, waiting patiently for Part 2!

Tanner769 said...

Hey Chef John. Perhaps you can continue your Phyllo...or is it Filo? trend and make some Beef Samosa's and or maybe a Jamaican Beef Patty?? Cant wait to see the Baklava video!

club1821 said...

Chef John - I usually really enjoy your blog, but I was put off by your comment that phyllo dough is Turkish not Greek. Let me remind you that the word phyllo means paper and leaf in Greek, both of which resemble the perfect phyllo dough. Also, when the Turks took over Byzantium in the 15th century, they came upon a 1,100 year old highly-civilized and sophisticated culture, which of course included a refined culinary tradition that was very much the successor to the Greco-Roman origins of the mediterranean diet. It is well documented that the Turkish conquerors were known more for their eating of raw meat, which they tenderized under the saddle of their sweaty horses, than for their refined baking & culinary traditions They simply became the overlords for Byzantine Greek chefs. Once the Ottomans finally got off of their ottomans, they took the Greek inspired dishes and delicacies to the ends of their empire.

bobrogue said...

SSSSSSSSSSSpppppppaaaaaannnnnniiiiiikkkkopita! (I got tired holding down keys) Spanikopita!

Jenn said...

@WashingtonWoman, I believe his scale is OXO-brand with a pull-out display. We have the same one and it works well!

Josh said...

I thought the lead photo on this post was a dirty pair of tighty whities. Thanks for the videos as always!!

Unknown said...

Chef John I love your videos, you're so funny! Can you do a recipe for corn nuggets? My son loves them from a local resturant but I'd really enjoy making some for him at home.

Unknown said...

Chef John, I am Bulgarian and making filo dough is a national tradition. Today I made cheese pies. I have been always intimidated making filo from scratch. My grandma used to roll it with a long rolling pin that does look like a broomstick. Your method worked. My feta cheese pies are baking in the oven and whole house smell delicious.

Francesco Longo said...

Hi, I'm looking for someone who can make my italian pastry, to be used in the vending machines all over the world. The profit will be sostantional.

Grumpy Chef said...

Thats not how I learned to make it, but I guess it looks pretty good.

Unknown said...

I was wondering if I could take the end result and slice it up finely to use for Kataifi dough for a recipe of Kunafa. Would that be possible? If not, what would be the correct way to proceed from the last step?

Julie said...

I made your recipe!! It was easy and delicious. I halved the recipe and it made 12-20 gram dough portions! I rolled them out to fit a 9 inch pie pan!!!
Thank you for the recipe!

Sascha said...

Chef John,can i subtitute the white wine vinegar with lemon or lime juice instead? love to hear from you

Sascha said...

Chef John, can i subtitute the white wine vinegar with Lemon or Lime juice instead? love to hear from you

Unknown said...

Hello chef John I always love your videos and I made the Philo dough and it was a success. I would have shown you the picture of what I made with it but can't seem to figure out how to here. But thank for the recipe.

shayblog said...

Phyllo is actually Welsh and not Greek or Turkish. When the Celts left the Pontic Steppe they went to Wales via Eastern Europe teaching both the Turks and the Greeks how to make filo before establishing Stonehenge.